Yoga For Arthiritis/ Yogic Management Of Arthiritis:
Arthritis means a joint pathology, in which there is a degeneration and inflammation in the joints. If the joints ache, look swollen or seem to have lost their usual flexibility. These could be early signs of arthritis – a condition that affects around 180 million Indians.
Arthritis comes from ‘arth’ meaning joints, and ‘ritis’ meaning inflammation. It is an umbrella term for over a hundred diseases which are linked with inflammation of the joints.
Common Classification Of Arthiritis:
1. OSTEOARTHRITIS: It is a degenerative Joint disease in which the cartilage that covers the ends of the bones in the joint detoriates, causing pain & loss of movement as bones begin to rub each other. It is the most common form of arthritis.
2. RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS: It is an auto immune disease in which the joint lining gets inflamed as a result of abnormal immune response of the body, Rheumatoid Arthiritis is one of the most serious and disabling types, affecting women mostly.
3. GOUT: It affects mostly men, is due to metabolic disturbances in which increased Uric Acid settles down in the joint space causing inflammation. This painful condition most often attacks small joints, especially the big toe.
4. ANKYLOSING SPONDOLOSIS: A type of arthritis that effects the spine. As a result of Inflammation, bones of the spine fuse together leading to stiffening of Spine.
Risk Factors Leading To Arthritis:
Mental, Emotional Stress, Diet and Faulty Lifestyle are jointly responsible for upsetting the balance of central controlling mechanism in the brain and our endocrine system on which the ultimate health of organism depends.
1. DIET: Overeating and specially Excessively Rich diet, specially based on meat, animal fat, heavy fried foods, highly refined and synthetic foods, excessive milk, sugar, salt play an important role in aggravating arthritis. Constipation also aggravates the disease.
2. EXERCISE: Lack of regular exercise causes the joints and ligaments to become stiff and inflexible.
3. MENTAL FACTORS: Deep sub conscious tension, suppression of emotion, fear and hypersensitivity can lead to rigidity of the personality, which is then translated into physical tension, allergies, endocrine unbalances and so on whereas the Physic Rigidity- Stubbornness and fear of letting go leads to arthritis, rheumatism and constipation.
Diet & Lifetsytle Modifications:
Diet changes should be done early to reduce joint damage.
1. Arthiritis arises out of the acidic condition of the body. Acidic media will enhance the inflammation process and worsen the situation. So further, Alkaline Diet should be introduced to the patient. Diet containing Salads, sprouts, fresh fruits ( except lemon, mausambi, grapes,bananas) should be included as they require very less energy in digestion. Adding roughage to the diet will heal the patient more.
2. Adding Alkaline juices to diet like Carrot juice, Ash gourd juice, bottle gourd juice, tender coconut water can also play role in management of arthritis.
3. All fried foods, bakery food, canned & processed food, tea, coffee, ice cream, chilled water, cold drinks should be avoided.
4. Increase the fluid intake.
5. Meals should be taken between 10am to 12pm and in the evening before 7pm.
6. Restrict the salty foods and table salt in case of sodium retention.
7. A warm bath before bed can relieve muscle tension and provide relief joint pains.
8. Stretching is a simple way to keep joints and muscles flexible.
Smoking can increase the risk of complications of R.A.
Yogic Management For Arthirits:
SHATKARMA: Jal neti, Kunjal, Poorna & Laghushankhprakshalan( for eliminating constipation & metabolic acids, wastes which accumulate in the bloodstream)
ASANAS: Pawanmuktasan-1 & 2, Tadasan, Katichakrasan , Hastothansana, Pawanmuktasana, Marjariasana, shashankasan, bhujangasan, vajrasan, akarndhanurasan, surya namsakar(as per capacity),Makarasan,Shavasan.
PRANAYAM: Nadishodhan Pranayam, Bhastrika Pranayam, Suryabhedi Pranayam, Bhramari Pranayam, Abdominal Breathing.
MEDITATION: Antar Moun, Om chanting.
SPECIAL PRACTISE : Yog Nidra